Please do not enter new items.

Markup-Based Wiki

Instead of forcing users to work with the WYSISOWYG wiki editor, allow users to use custom markup--e.g., Wiki Creole, Markdown, MediaWiki Markup, etc.

118 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Peter PaulPeter Paul commented  · 

FYI: I've hacked together some javascript which I installed in my wiki template so that any DokuWiki markup found on a wiki page is parsed. This enables me to combine WYSIWYG and markup. Unfortunately, I have not yet found a way to link to pages by their headline (e.g. [[Contact Information]] => <a href='default.asp?W=title:Contact+Information'>) so I'm linking to the search page for now.

• Peter PaulPeter Paul commented  · 

The WYSIWYG editor has gotten all out of whack on me 10 times already after trying to use it for half an hour. Call me a geek if you like, but to me, this always seems to be the case with attempts at WYSIWYG. By principle I also feel that contents and layout should be kept separate for content not to suffer.
        I would love to transfer our old wiki articles into FogBugz to get an integrated solution, but it is simply unusable for us without MediaWiki like syntax support.

• drjasonharrisondrjasonharrison commented  · 

@Greg: Often cutting and pasting into the wiki produces wiki text with hidden formatting that is very hard to remove. A "source view" helps to clean this up. MSWindows copy/paste is particularly bad from MS Office/outlook applications in terms of matching the existing wiki formatting and creating line breaks, paragraph tags that are hard to clean up when combined with indentation, lists, headers, etc.

• Greg SavenGreg Saven commented  · 

@Nick: the case you reference asks for CASE markdown. This request is for WIKI markup.

It's a different issue, but I can't say I understand it. Markup language is for geeks. WYSIWYG editing is for everyone else on the planet. Why would you want to make use of the software less intuitive?

Feedback and Knowledge Base